Diamond Information

Discuss and find out more information on these 4 main charactaristics that make up important elements when choosing your diamond

Diamond Information

Postby Phillp » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:40 pm

I heard about your website from a friend of mine that works in Confetti in Leeds. I am wanting to buy a Platinum Diamond engagement ring for my fiancee and would like some information on the 4'C's to help my choose the right diamond.

Thanks Phillip
Phillp

Re: Diamond Information

Postby Administrator » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Here is some information on the 4 C's as requested I hope you find it useful.

The quality of a diamond is defined by means of the C’s: Carat, Clarity, Colour and Cut. These characteristics do not only determine the stone’s quality, they can also be very useful in identifying the diamond, since every diamond is unique.

Carat
Carat refers to the weight of a diamond. One carat equals 0.2 grams. A carat is further subdivided in 100 points. A stone of e.g. 1.50 carat thus means it is 1 carat and 50 points.

Clarity
The clarity or purity of a diamond is determined by the number, size, brightness and location of the internal and external characteristics, important structure phenomena and transparency. Generally speaking, mainly the inclusions in the stone affect the clarity. Obviously, the fewer inclusions or structure phenomena the stone displays, the higher the quality of the diamond.

Colour
Over 90% of all gem diamonds have a basically yellowish colour. The intensity can vary from nearly colourless, which is preferable, to decidedly yellow. The value of a white stone is higher than that of a yellowish stone. However, diamonds can also have a distinct orange, brown, pink, green or blue colour. These colour diamonds can be extremely valuable.

Cut
The proportions and finish grade of a diamond establish the quality of the cut. A good finish grade testifies to the workmanship of the diamond polisher. It refers to the symmetry of the facets and their overall finish. The best cut diamonds also have the right proportions between the different parts of the diamond. If these proportions are not optimal, the fire and brilliancy of the diamond are affected, and undesirable visual effects might occur.
Apart from the most popular ‘round brilliant’ cut, there are a range of other frequently used cuts, Princess cut, Emerald Cut, Marquise, Oval and a few to mention.

You can also find out more at our website http://www.theweddingring-shop.co.uk where you can view our movie on how to choose a diamond.

Good Luck with your purchase anymore questions just drop me a line or pop into The Wedding Ring Shop in Pudsey Leeds. We have a good selection of loose diamonds
Administrator

Return to The 4C's